[OSM-dev] Osmosis Replication Statistics

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 15:00:50 BST 2007

On 8/22/07, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> Now, back to the huge planet file.  I have no idea why the planet file
> is so big.  My first thought was that my 12-month change application
> process was wrong so I took a snapshot at 20070101 to verify the
> results.  The files were *almost* identical in size.  The differences
> are contained in the file attached to this email.

There have been manual manipulations of the DB in the past: for
example the TIGER import was removed by hand, maybe the history
entries were neglected?

> So two problems to focus on:
> 1. Why is the planet file is so big?
> 2. Why do I have differences between my snapshotted 20070101 planet and
> my derived 20070101 using 12 months of changes?
>
> Problem 1.
> I have no idea what is causing this huge planet.  My only thought is
> that perhaps data exists in the history tables that doesn't exist in the
> current tables.  I'm really not sure what's going on here.  I need to
> look into this further.

Can you not diff the most recent planet against your generated
version, that should at least tell you where to look. Remember, even
file incredibly.

> Problem 2
> I've examined a random sample of the changes between my two 20070101.osm
> files.  For each change I examined the history of the entity in
> question.  In every case I've checked the change can be explained by the
> fact that the two most recent history rows (as of beginning 2007) have
> identical timestamps.  This means my queries sometimes return one row,
> sometimes the other depending on the particular query characteristics.
> I don't think there's much I can do about this.  Given that it is a very
> small set of changes, it is probably something we can live with and fix
> on a case by case basis as problems are picked up.

Got some examples?

Have a nice day,