[OSM-dev] AND conv: residential versus unclassified

ante at ffii.org ante at ffii.org
Wed Aug 29 09:36:26 BST 2007

In NL we have two parties, the Residentials and the Unclassifieds.

The Residentials believe local roads should be tagged as residential,
whether people live there, or whether there are shops or industry as well.

The Unclassifieds reject this believe, according to them streets can only
be tagged as residential if people live there, but not if there are shops
or industry. Then the unclassied tag has to be used.

It is easy to see where the different groups live, looking at the ratio
residential / unclassified streets.

Now with the AND import coming soon, we have to decide how to converse AND
local streets, to residential or unclassified.

So, is there actually an intelligent design behind residential versus
unclassified, or is it just survival of the fittest? Can we look for
guidance, or will there be no answer?

vriendelijke groet,
cordialmente,

Ante