[OSM-dev] Using NULL values in mapnik / postgres DB

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Feb 20 22:51:49 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 23:12, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Sounds good to me! Also, it might be a good idea to split osm data into
> multiple tables in postgresql and only keep fields that are required :
>
> 1. roads (LINESTRING) :  osm_id,highway,level,name ...
> 2. all points (POINT) : osm_id, amenity,...
> 3. all polygons (POLYGONS): osm_id, natural, leisure etc.
>
> Thoughts?

If we're changing the database layout; do you see a chance of changing the
scheme with one column per feature to something like one column with a
feature_id. Then for example
   highway=motorway would be feature_id=1
   highway=primary would be feature_id=2
   waterway=river would be feature_id=21

this would probably reduce the database size dramatically. And maybe would
increase speed too?
What do you think about this?

-
Joerg