[OSM-dev] ways with 'spurs'

Barry Crabtree barry.crabtree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:19:03 GMT 2007

On 2/26/07, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> Sent by:        dev-bounces at openstreetmap.org
> To:     dev at openstreetmap.org
> cc:
> Subject:        [OSM-dev] ways with 'spurs'
>
> >I've come across some ways that go:
>
> >   A -> B -> C -> B -> D
>
> >Shouldn't they be done as:
>
> >   A -> B -> D, with a separate way B -> C?
>
> A contentious point, but I would say "yes".  It makes renderers and data
> models with no notion of two-point segments (only multi-point polylines)
> handle the data better, e.g. shapefiles.

Contentious? Where is the contention :-) Surely a way would never double
back on itself? Isn't it as wrong as a zero length segment? I understand the
debate about forked/looped/disjoint ways. I can see how they can be
*logically* fine but a complete pain for a rendering engine. In this case we
have a way that overlaps itself. I can't see how that can be ok!

Cheers. Baz.