[OSM-dev] Low-zoom tiles - new script to create them

Barry Crabtree barry.crabtree at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 19:17:43 GMT 2007

On 1/1/07, Hakan Tandogan <hakan at gurkensalat.com> wrote:

> OJW wrote:
> > There's a tool on SVN to create low-zoom tiles:
>
> Nice, I just used it to re-create the low-zoom ones around Munich ;-)
>
> > p.s. the next step is for someone to modify the script so that when tile
> x,y,z
> > changes, it updates all the other tiles that contain it (replacing a
> quarter
> > of z-1, a sixteenth of z-2, etc.) without replacing any unchanged image
> areas
>
> Wouldn't this require knowledge that only the upload server has? I think
> something that parses the upload logs would "know" which low-zoom tiles
> would have to be regenerated as a result of an upload, giving out
> re-stitch requests to clients.

I've just modified the script to do this checking. I used the api call to
get the png_details of the sub-tile creation time & then only re-create a
tile (or portion of a tile) if the subtile creation date is newer than the
creation date of the tile at the lower zoom level. Hope this is what was
expected :-)

Just testing it right now, but the api calls are a bit slow at the
moment.... can send a patch of how it is at the moment if you like.

Cheers .Baz

Regards,
> Hakan
>
> --
> The Key To Immortality Is First Living A Life Worth Remembering.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.  - Gandhi.