[OSM-dev] Various OSM troubles

Ludwig Max Brinckmann ludwigbrinckmann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:36:25 GMT 2007

Does anyone know what the exact error is? As humble API users we only get
the 500 error, there should be more in the OSM log.

I have the slight suspicion that if this is due to some sort of (changeable)
configuration value that upping that value will not actually impact the OSM
server performance badly, as the overall load will probably _decrease_,
because people will not try and try again to load a larger region to then
cut down their requests to tiles smaller in individual extent, but the same
overall. (I do not know how many times I tried to download an area that
interested me as it seemed a transient error, before I decided to cut my
losses and tile my request instead. Every time the server spent endless time
before deciding that it was too big -- all that processing wasted in vain.)

However there should be a check on the size, so that people do not regularly
download the planet just to see it is too big to digest for them. Limiting
requests to a tile size smaller than 1 arc degree square should not be too
onerous and combined with a meaningfull error message should solve most of
the problem. It is at least worth a try before bringing mirrored dbs and new
servers into play.

HTH
Ludwig