[OSM-dev] Various OSM troubles

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Tue Jan 9 00:00:12 GMT 2007

> However there should be a check on the size, so that people do not
> regularly download the planet just to see it is too big to digest for
> them. Limiting requests to a tile size smaller than 1 arc degree
> square should not be too onerous and combined with a meaningfull
> error message should solve most of the problem. It is at least worth
> a try before bringing mirrored dbs and new servers into play.

I agree. The less hardware we need the better.
So here's one further question: I always catch the area I'm mapping
completely anew from the server. What if we had a kind of a "diff"?
Imagine I keep my osm data locally. If JOSM starts, it loads that data
file and then asks the server to deliver *only* the data that has
changed since the last sync. This at least would save a lot of
bandwidth, wouldn't it? This even is valid for the future as the user
base grows.

ce