[OSM-dev] Various OSM troubles

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Jan 9 07:04:47 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 01:00, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > However there should be a check on the size, so that people do not
> > regularly download the planet just to see it is too big to digest for
> > them. Limiting requests to a tile size smaller than 1 arc degree
> > square should not be too onerous and combined with a meaningfull
> > error message should solve most of the problem. It is at least worth
> > a try before bringing mirrored dbs and new servers into play.
>
> I agree. The less hardware we need the better.
> So here's one further question: I always catch the area I'm mapping
> completely anew from the server. What if we had a kind of a "diff"?

Currently I don't think the bandwidth for downloading is the problem, but the
sql-query takes all the resources. So doing a diff probably only doubles the
needed db-resources.

> Imagine I keep my osm data locally. If JOSM starts, it loads that data
> file and then asks the server to deliver *only* the data that has
> changed since the last sync. This at least would save a lot of
> bandwidth, wouldn't it? This even is valid for the future as the user
> base grows.

This was something imi already suggested some times. He suggested writing a
local caching OSM-Server which starts with the current planet.osm and then
only get the updates. If the central OSM-Database is fast enough this
probably would really speed up things on the local machine. But we have to be
even more carefull with handling editing conflicts.

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304