[OSM-dev] prefiltering and identifying new parts in Track Data with osmfilter

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Jan 9 07:08:08 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 00:50, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>
> About getting bigger areas:
> > This is most likely an SQL query timeout and has always been present
> > to some degree or other throughout the project to date. If we had
> > tons more hardware my guess is the project could deliver more data
> > for each query. Until then we must consider the workaround.
>
> I'll use the planet dumps as suggested by Jörg. This will even save a
> bit of server load, and for my SVG maps, I don't need the latest data
> from the server.

And one more thought. If you already have the newest planet.osm on your
computer and then want to see which parts of the tracks are new (not already
exist as segments in OSM) you can use osmfilter.pl with the option --osm.
This compares vague against an OSM File or a planet.csv File which can be
generated by using osm2csv.pl. This might save you a lot of work and
comparison too.

-
Joerg