[OSM-dev] Various OSM troubles

Dave osm at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 09:55:04 GMT 2007

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:
> Currently I don't think the bandwidth for downloading is the problem, but the
> sql-query takes all the resources. So doing a diff probably only doubles the
> needed db-resources.
>

>> Imagine I keep my osm data locally. If JOSM starts, it loads that data
>> file and then asks the server to deliver *only* the data that has
>> changed since the last sync. This at least would save a lot of
>> bandwidth, wouldn't it? This even is valid for the future as the user
>> base grows.
>>

> This was something imi already suggested some times. He suggested writing a
> local caching OSM-Server which starts with the current planet.osm and then
> only get the updates. If the central OSM-Database is fast enough this
> probably would really speed up things on the local machine. But we have to be
> even more carefull with handling editing conflicts.

If bandwidth isn't really a problem, and we're having DB query time
issues, couldn't we just set up some MySQL replication magic and have
the API ruby code split data requests between the master and slaves?

Of course this implies we have more server hardware to spare... I don't
know what the current hardware situation is; typing Servers on the wiki
gives lots of nice pictures of people loading racks full of them though
-- but no hard data unfortunately. And comments on this list suggest
resources are very limited.