[OSM-dev] Feature request for OSMApplet for London Mapping event

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Tue Jan 9 15:26:14 GMT 2007

The upcoming London mapping party may be interesting as it will be the
first time we can use aerial photographs to pre-populate a map with
segments before the event takes place, then at the event just join the
segments into ways and tag them.

I've had a quick look at the area to be mapped in the applet, and it
looks like the roads we already have of the area don't have anything
like enough nodes to use for all the junctions along them.

Can adding a feature to OSMApplet to allow insertion of extra nodes into
ways, like in JOSM be put high on the list of priorities?

If this feature was added, it would probably enable a lot more to get
done at the London event.

The other thing that may be useful at that event is a tool to find all
the unwayed segments and ways without names in an area, and highlight
them. This could be on a printed map or on an off-line editor on a
laptop so that you can update straight into a database as you drive around.

Adding a live GPS read facility to JOSM would be ideal, as suggested here:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2006-December/002589.html

What would be nice would be for JOSM to solve the travelling salesman
problem and issue navigation instructions to visit all the untagged
segments in an area with the least possible driving.

Robert (Jamie) Munro