[OSM-dev] New Osmarender version

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Jan 9 13:12:06 GMT 2007

I just checked a new version of Osmarender into svn. There are many changes
and some incompatibilities, so I created a new directory osmarender4 in
utils to keep everything separate.

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/osmarender4/

New features:
- Can use SVG layers (see README and feature style file for details). To
  see this work, open the layer dialogue in Inkscape
- First shot at rendering bridges and tunnels. Bridges work quite well
  as long as there are not two bridges right next to each other like
  on trunk roads. Tunnels need some more work.
- Road names are written right side up. (Patch from Johann Gail)
- Re-arranged scale and copyright. Copyright logo now SVG, no external
  PNG images needed.
- Added optional map title which gets put on the top of the map
- Draws mini roundabouts
- Added a shell wrapper called "osmarender" to make it easier to call

Internally lots has changed. I have splitted up the big XSL file into
smaller files (easier to handle for developers) which get pulled together
into big osmarender.xsl (easier to handle for users). In style files you
can now use the <layer/> and <addclass/> elements, which are used for
creating SVG layers (not to be confused with OSM layers) and easier
handling of complex styling, respectively. I have used some EXSLT
extensions which might brake some XSL transformers (xsltproc, xmlstarlet,
XALAN Java work, XALAN C doesn't). See the README and CHANGES file for
details.

The former osm-map-features.xml is now called standard.xml and is in the
rules directory. Feel free to add other feature XML files for special
purposes.

With so many changes I am sure I have broken something in the process,
please test! I'd also like some input on the bridge and tunnel
rendering. How do you like it? How could it be improved?

Jochen