[OSM-dev] Script to find tiles that need rebuilding

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Wed Jan 10 18:10:48 GMT 2007

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On 1/5/07, DamianS <damian.sulewski at uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>> Sorry for my perl knowledge but i thought
>> "next if $oldday > $day-2;"
>> means " if oldday is smaller then day-2 go further, otherway do a next
>> (which would take the next tile)"
>
> Correct. I put that in because otherwise you get the issue where some
> is editting and it'll rerequest the tile every ten minutes, which
> obviously isn't useful.

Why not? I'd love to see my updates changed every 10 minutes. The only
thing you need to do is make sure that anything already in the queue
isn't added again, because that would be pointless.

> It's a bit difficult to deal with since you don't know if there's more
> coming or not. My logic is that is someone was editting the tile
> before your upload, it won't rerender straight away, but hopefully
> someone will still be editting that area in 48 hours time and it'll
> get rerendered then...

I don't think that (i.e. still be editing that area in 48 hours time) is
very likely. Also, that person still editing 48 hours later may well
make more than one edit, and the second of his edits will be missed if
the queue is short. What is much more likely is that a series of changes
will happen over a period - maximum a couple of hours, then nothing will
happen again to that area, possibly forever, because that area is now
correct.

The best logic is simply to move things to the back of the queue if they
are edited again. If the queue is empty enough that the same things are
getting rendered over and over as people make lots of small changes,
this is a good thing, not a bad one - it means people can see their
changes as they happen, and fix mistakes. If you wish to lighten the
load on the main server, then don't issue things from the queue unless
the edit is more than n minutes old, giving a chance for more edits to
get included.

Robert (Jamie) Munro