[OSM-dev] Script to find tiles that need rebuilding

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 11:24:10 GMT 2007

On 1/9/07, Damian Sulewski <damian.sulewski at uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> i hope you have read my posting before. My problem is: I have to upload
> all my changes at once.
> I like to save often. So if i tag a way i upload it. Then it gets rendered
> and, normaly i dont tag in the same tile in the next 48 hours again, it
> will not get rendered until i request it.(Im the only one taging here in
> this areay)

I see the problem. It would be possible to do things smarter, at the
expense of twice the diskspace and more processing power. I'm unsure
who is running the script now, I'd need to ask them.

The trick would be to track when the last update was made, and
rerequest if updates we're made recently (within 48-hours) and the
user has not done anything since. It's absolutly doable.

> Does the script have access to the que? So it could be done the way that a
> request is moved to the end of the que if its already in the que. If the
> que is empty then, a tile will be rendered several times, during editing
> (does it matter?All the clients have nothing to do) If the que is full,
> the tile will be moved to the end until the editing phase is over, and
> then rendered.

The script has no access to the queue, though that would also be
possible. What I don't know is the cost of rerendering a tile on the
infrastructure. Is tiles at home a significant user of the main server?
Will increasing tile updates cause everything to slow down for other
people?

Is it important that the tile is rendered quickly, or is it enough to
render within some timeframe (say 48 hours)?

Have a nice day,