[OSM-dev] Field Boundaries and Yahoo! Maps

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 11 12:28:19 GMT 2007

Hi,

> The question is then - what are the exact terms and conditions for
> using
> the Yahoo! maps in OSM? I seem to remember that as long as you used
> the
> Yahoo! api to access them and display the copyright message, it
> would be
> ok.

That's something I am very interested in myself. I was thinking about
building something that lets me use Yahoo! maps and/or satellite
images as background images in josm, just like we currently have
landsat imagery. I would stick 100% to their API but access it from a
remote-controlled browser instance so that I can export the image
into josm. But I am not sure about the legal situation. It doesn't
make sense to spend time developing something if it cannot be used,
published, and talked about for fear of damaging our reputation.

I have read some of the web talk following the announcement of the
Yahoo/OSM agreement, and a statement by an OSM activist - forgot who
it was - read something like: "Now it will often suffice to cycle
past roads to write down the names, and you will not have to cycle
down each road to get the exact track...". This seems to preclude the
use of Yahoo! maps, and only allow the satellite imagery to be used,
but that's just my guess.

Bye
Frederik