[OSM-dev] Difficulty with rendering text in Mapnik

Artem Pavlenko artem at pavlenko.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 17 21:51:18 GMT 2007

Hi Nick,

If you're rendering from c++ you must register some fonts e.g.
freetype_engine::instance()->register_font("/opt/mapnik/lib64/mapnik/fonts//Vera.ttf");

Python bindings use similar mechanism but it is automatic. First test to try
is to :

cd $(mapnik_src)/demo/python
python rundemo.py

and see if you're getting some text.