[OSM-dev] Slippy Map, automatic Tile Rendering

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 18 10:40:50 GMT 2007

Hi all,

    I've been looking at the "tiles at home" slippy map. For those of
you who are not familiar with how tile generation for the slippy map
works (as I was a week ago, before I started a barrage of "why" and
"how" emails aimed at Oliver White), here's a short overview. And
after that a few questions.

The zoom levels in use are 7 (128x128 tiles for the whole world) to
17 (most detailed). Increasing the zoom level by 1 gives you 2x2
tiles from every 1 tile you had before.

For zoom levels 12 to 17, individual osmarender styles have been
defined, so the low-detail levels do not render road names etc. - The
tiles at home architecture can be used re-generate tiles on any zoom
level, however it will always go down to a configured most-detail
zoom level (normally 17). I.e. if you request the rendering of a
certain level-12 tile on tiles at home, you will get one level-12 tile,
four level-13 tiles, 16 level-14 tiles, etc.

There are currently about 1.6 million level-12 tiles in the database,
and 6.6 million tiles total (this tells us that many level-12 tiles
have been generated without going down to level-17 detail, otherwise
there should be a total of roughly 2 billion tiles for 1.6 million
level-12 tiles). Many of the level-12 tiles are, however, blank; they
seem to stem from a now discontinued approach where level-12 tiles
were chosen randomly and rendered "just in case" there was data.

Zoom levels 7 to 11 are generated differently; for those, the
level-12 tiles are pasted together and scaled. This is done by an
utlity script in the tiles at home dir called "lowzoom". Called with the
co-ordinates of a specific level-7 tile, it will collect the 1024
level-12 tiles making up that level-7 tile and create 256 level-11
tiles, 64 level-10 tiles, 16 level-9 tiles, 4 level-8 tiles and one
level-7 tile by scaling down.

(That's the reason the low-detail zoom levels look so faint; on the
other hand, if one were to define modified stylesheets for these
levels, it would be next to impossible to download the amount of osm
data needed to render one because of their large bounding box. This
will probably only be possible if the OSM API did support some sort
of filtering.)

The "lowzoom" process, i.e. generating the level-7 to level-11 tiles,
is not fully automatic. A full list of tiles on the server is
available from http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Stats/. This list
can be used to exctract a list of all non-blank level-12 tiles, and
from that one can find out which level-7 tiles actually warrant
generating because at least one level-12 tile lies in their area. It
turns out there are only about 280 level-7 tiles  (of a possible
16,384 convering the earth) for which non-blank level-12 tiles exist;
re-generating them (and with them, the intermediate levels 8,9,10,11)
takes only about half a day, so this is not much of a concern and
I'll probably set something up to run that automatically.

It is more time-consuming and complicated however to create level-12
tiles. There are about 50 contributors who currently render tiles for
tiles at home. Requests for tile generation are issued by the system if
either someone clicks the "request update" button in the tile
browser, or if activity on a certain tile has been detected by
monitoring the RSS feed.  This, however, misses a lot of edits,
because only the last 40 edits are contained in the feed and as soon
as more edits occur between two feed requests, they go unnoticed.

As a result, many of the level-12 tiles on the server are outdated
and will be outdated in the future. I am looking for ways to (a)
determine which tiles are outdated to have them re-rendered, and (b)
do that regularly in the future.

(a) Which tiles are outdated? One could of course just re-generate
all existing tiles but that would be very time-consuming (I guess
about 20 days of round-the-clock computing for a modern PC; less of
course if many take part in the distributed computing). I will try to
evaluate the last-change-timestamp in the planet file and use that to
determine which tiles are out of date.

(b) If I want to regularly find outdated tiles, the perfect way would
of course be to process a full change log instead of the limited RSS
feed. Ideally, I would want to ask the server "please send all nodes
changed or added since <timestamp>", then use this regularly to re-
generate all affected tiles. Does someone know if a feature like this
is planned or even likely? - The other approach is,  again, using the
weekly planet files to find out which nodes have changed. But this
would lead to weekly updates only.

I am not saying that we should abandon the current tile regeneration
based on the RSS feed, but it seems to me that it needs to be
supplemented by something else if it alone cannot guarantee that our
tiles are halfway current.

Any comments?

Bye
Frederik