[OSM-dev] Slippy Map, automatic Tile Rendering

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 19 00:33:11 GMT 2007

Hi,

OJW wrote:
> I'm wondering whether one of those "erode/dilate" filters you find in raster
> graphics programs (e.g. imagemagick) would make the roads easier to see
> against a white background, for low-zoom tiles?

I think that slightly boldening the image before we apply the scaling
would indeed make a big difference. I have manually done that for one
example tile by merging the original image with three slightly displaced
copies of itself before each scaling step.

Since explaining it requires some example images, I've quickly put
together a temporary web page to make my case:

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/tiles/

What do you think?

Bye
Frederik