[OSM-dev] Slippy Map, automatic Tile Rendering

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Jan 19 08:54:37 GMT 2007

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 01:33:11AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> What do you think?

Wouldn't it be better to actually render the high-zoom tiles properly
instead of scaling the low-zoom ones? We don't want every side road in
the high-level maps, only motorways and other major roads.

As I understand it, the reasons for the scaling is that Osmarender
doesn't work with very large datasets. So we have to a) filter the data
based on tags and maybe b) joins segments close to each other. Both
don't seem too hard to do. For a) at least there is already a program in
the subversion, which I have used to generate a map of the German rail
network only. So that can be used already.

Jochen