[OSM-dev] mapnik standard Directories

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Jan 21 11:44:57 GMT 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 11:46:39AM +0100, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:
> I'd like to adjust the direcoty names of the mapnik-xml files in svn.
> I would suggest to use the user mapnik as default user being used in svn. In a
> result he will have the svn.openstreetmap.org in the
> directory /home/mapnik/svn.openstreetmap.org and the default database user
> will be mapnik.
>
> Any voices against this?
>
> Other directories:
> basedir: /home/mapnik/svn.openstreetmap.org
> vmap0:   /home/mapnik/osm/vmap0/...
> icons:   /home/mapnik/svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/mapnik/symbols

I don't use mapnik (yet), but I think it is bad style to have hardcoded
directory names in subversion. It leads to all sorts of problems, for
instance you can't ever have more than one copy of the tree.

I suggest using an environment variable for finding the root of the
sub-tree and make everything relative to that. Everybody can then set
this environment variable to whatever he uses in his login shell. I used
the env var $OSMARENDER in this way for the Osmarender4 dir for instance.

Also it doesn't seem to make sense to have the whole subversion tree
if you only need mapnik as your naming scheme implies.

Jochen