[OSM-dev] Drawing ways with bezier curves rather than line segments

Andreas Brauchli linux at elementarea.net
Wed Jan 24 23:22:06 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 20:51 +0000, Barry Crabtree wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been experimenting with using bezier curves to connect the
> segments in a way rather than using straight line segments as it is
> done at the moment. There is a before and after image at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Dotbaz - this was
> somewhere (Kobenhavn) I caught as it was going past my tiles at home so
> hopefully someone has recently edited this area and might know it!
the 2nd picture (with the railway station Wankdorf) is Berne,
Switzerland and i have to say it's impressive! at first i thought
rounding everything would be wrong since all geo-tools work with
straight lines (at least without the projection) but having seen it, i
have to say it's much nicer to present (not to work with, but for
rendering/presentation) and it doesn't over-compensate as i thought it
would - it'd be nice to see it on a very long segment which has hard,
short turns on both ends. somewhat like a race-track but more straight
in the middle.
 ________

> Basically it post-processes the svg output from osmarender and
> replaces all the ways with bezier curves connecting the segments
> rather than straight line segments.
is the additional load on calc./rendering the curves heavy?

> I'd appreciate any feedback, and if anyone wants me to do a particular
> area, just mail me the svg & I'll reply with a 'smoothed' version!
how about a fully rendered planet.osm ;)