[OSM-dev] Drawing ways with beziercurves rather than linesegments

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Thu Jan 25 16:08:52 GMT 2007

> I think my point is I'd rather nobody on the list knew anything about
any > patents that might or might not be related to something we're
doing.
> Mostly this is because:
> a) Half the time we don't know what the patent is actually for
> b) We have no real way of assessing whether or not we're infringing
> c) We have no sensible way of determining whether, if we are
infringing,
> the patent stands a chance of being valid

Patents don't work like that. You are infringing the patent whether you
know about it or not, and can get asked to pay up, or cease infringement
immediately. I'd hate to be in a situation where we had to cease
distribution of any of our data because it's storage, retrieval, or
display was dependant on any potentially patented technology.

Given that, and the goals of the project, it would seem that
understanding of all relevant patents should be very high up on our list
of priorities!

Perhaps in the same way we have come to some sort of agreement with
Multimap and Yahoo (of which I'm unsure of the details) we could come to
agreements with relevant patent holders?

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com