[OSM-dev] The Mapper's Plight

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:35:11 GMT 2007

> Thursday.
>
> Sigh. It seems as if using a printed map is not en vogue with the
> community.
> They say the information from the printed map is copyrighted, and
> I'll have
> to write down the names myself. So I'll get my bike out again.

Minor point: it's not so much that the map is copyrighted, but that
map's are wrong, deliberatly so, and that if you copy something that's
wrong they can prove copyright infringement.

Obviously if the streetname is correct, they can't prove you got it from them.

> Called city council asking for the name of the little street. They sent
> me to the planning office, who offered me a copyrighted printout of
> their catastral data, then threatened to call the police when I lost
> my temper.

Here I'd say that if the map, the council and a number of other places
all agree on the name, then go ahead and use it. You've obviously not
copied it from any one source...

Have a nice day,