[OSM-dev] Area rendering on Mapnik

Dave osm at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 14:41:25 GMT 2007

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> OK thanks. I think the easiest solution might be to develop a custom API
> (based off a copy of the database from planet on dev) to return every
> coordinate of any way within the bounding box as a list of lats and longs.
> This API could then be available to anyone else who wants to easily do
> stuff with complete ways - easy manipulation of ways without having to
> worry about segments has been my no.1 api wish list for some time :-)

Well, in this case the only thing you need to do is a pile of extra API
calls to pull the extra segments and then the extra nodes -- it
downloads the segment IDs fine so api/segment/<n> should do the trick
for each one. Might not be the most efficient way of doing it, but it
would work. You only need to do it for things tagged as areas too.

I guess wait for rails for the better API support ;-)