[OSM-dev] Drawing ways with beziercurves rather than linesegments

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Jan 31 14:32:46 GMT 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 08:39:33PM +0000, Barry Crabtree wrote:
> Well, from what I can make out from all this is:
>
> A few others here have discussed the idea before of using bezier curves but
> not got much further because of thoughts on existing patents. The fact
> others have had the idea doesn't surprise me at all - the whole point of
> bezier curves is to make smooth transitions between points & thats really
> what we are trying to do on the maps, so as I say, no big surprise.
>
> Question is, what now?
>
> It seemed that people generally prefered the bezier versions than the
> straight-line version for small angle changes & there was talk of adding
> hints to suggest where they might be used. If there was a general preference
> for them, would this be better as a hint to suggest where they might not be
> used - (probably less hints overall?)
>
> I did this as a post-processing of the svg, but ideally if this were built
> in, it should be part of the osmarender xslt rules to generate the ways, but
> I'm afraid xslt is beyond me! Any takers?

I am willing to try to put this into Osmarender. (Seems I am currently
the one who does the most hacking on it, anyway.) Can you send me (or
put in Subversion) the code which you used for the postprocessing?

I am not sure the XSL stuff is the best place for it, though, as it seems
to involve some math which is notoriously hard in XSL. But I'll have a
look at it.

Jochen