[OSM-dev] Drawing ways with beziercurves rather than linesegments

Barry Crabtree barry.crabtree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 20:39:33 GMT 2007

Well, from what I can make out from all this is:

A few others here have discussed the idea before of using bezier curves but
not got much further because of thoughts on existing patents. The fact
others have had the idea doesn't surprise me at all - the whole point of
bezier curves is to make smooth transitions between points & thats really
what we are trying to do on the maps, so as I say, no big surprise.

Question is, what now?

It seemed that people generally prefered the bezier versions than the
straight-line version for small angle changes & there was talk of adding
hints to suggest where they might be used. If there was a general preference
for them, would this be better as a hint to suggest where they might not be
used - (probably less hints overall?)

I did this as a post-processing of the svg, but ideally if this were built
in, it should be part of the osmarender xslt rules to generate the ways, but
I'm afraid xslt is beyond me! Any takers?

Cheers. .Baz