[OSM-dev] Tiles with data, but without ways

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Jan 31 14:27:02 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 02:09:25PM +0000, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> Jochen Topf wrote:

> >> The problem with rendering segments in Osmarender is that people are less
> >> inclined to make them into ways and tag them if they show up anyway.
> >
> > I disagree. I think people would be *more* motivated to add tags if
> > they see that there is something there already, but they want their
> > street to show up properly with names and colors for primary roads etc.
> > Also I think it is harder to start your mapping in an area where there
> > is nothing, because you'll think it is futile anyway. But if you see a
> > start somewhere you might be induced to help adding to it.
>
> Did this happen? I.e. does osmarender now render unwayed segments in
> dashed grey? When will they start showing on the osmarender layer of the
> slippy map?

The consensus seems to be that we want unwayed segments in dashed grey.
I will add this to Osmarender4 (I am not working on version 3 any more as
I consider it obsolete). But there are currently some problems with
Osmarender4 and the slippy map. Once we have figured this out we can
switch tiles at home to Osmarender4 and then it will be in it.

Jochen