[OSM-dev] "Separated" ways

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Sun Jul 15 16:54:44 BST 2007

The TIGER data has a concept of tiger:separated=yes/no.  It uses these
for interstates (motorways) so that it doesn't have to keep track of a
pair of parallel ways for each side of the motorway for long
distances.

Can we teach the renderer about these ways so that it renders two
parallel roads at low zoom levels, but only has one set of ways?  Or,
should we make an effort actually separate these into ways in the
converter itself?

With the TIGER converter, I noticed that I haven't been careful with
this tag, and it gets overwritten as I aggressively merge ways.  I
probably need to go back and fix that.

-- Dave