[OSM-dev] The future of sysadmin

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at sxpert.org
Thu Jul 19 09:05:48 BST 2007

Steve Coast wrote:

> Over in the corner, OSMF has magically raised some pesos for spending
> on, you guessed it, servers. So we're in the joint positions of
> needing a/many sysadmin(s), people who can access the machines,
> people deeply competent, and people to buy and install the new
> machines we need.
>
> Where all the machines are, today, is in central london. I'd love you
> to host machines. Multiple times people have offered to host T at H on
> their servers, and it's not happened. openstreetmap.de sits basically
> idle AFAIK. So - while I respect that you may want to host some part
> of OSM at your machine, and I think it's a good idea, and I'll help
> if I can, and I'm sorry that I'm evil, I have to deal with the
> immediate problem of a lack of sysadmins and people who can fix the
> existing machines, which are spinning right now.

I have a few possibilities :

* TuxFamily has offered to either
	host a 1U max dedicated box
	or
	host a 4U box that would be their filer (something that has
	between 12 and 16 disk trays in the front, a nice raid card and
	other toys), that we'd share with them
* A friend is setting up a datacenter in Arras, where I could probably
stick a box (size probably wouldn't really matter)