[OSM-dev] Dev's purpose

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:29:23 BST 2007

On 23 Jul 2007, at 14:48, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

> Hi foundation folks and OSMers,
>
> I think we need to make a decision what "dev" is supposed to do.
> Currently it does everything t at h related, it serves SOTM stuff, it
> archives and serves all planet.osm files (12,000 times during the
> last 8 days)  *and* it is development server.

Do we have any other boxes available that could be used as servers. I
believe that it is time to move t at h to it's own server. Maybe even 2
servers, one for the DB and the other for the files. That way dev can
be freed up for other things like the serving of the planet.osm file
and the postgres stuff.

That would also mean that the serving and updating of the tiles could
be faster.

> People ask me e.g. to get them a postgres account so they can work
> on their project of porting OSM to postgres. Others extract
> planet.osm on it. On the other hand, the box is more than busy
> waiting for it's hard disks already.

Way too busy. Maybe it's time to spread the load.

Shaun