[OSM-dev] Howto: "Download to current layer" in josm-latest

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:56:50 BST 2007

On 24/07/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:

> What's the benefit for a common user to use multiple layers?!?

I've found the new feature very useful - for specific purposes. In
most cases, I've found it _less_ useful that downloaded map data
arrives on a different layer each time. Being able to specify that
data layers should auto-merge would be useful. Howerver...

Another thing I like to do (and I know that some folk disapprove of
this) is to fill in big coverage gaps by downloading GPS trails and
auto-waying them. I then kill all the unusable stuff, cleaning up and
keeping the bits I like. Layers are very useful here, because a lot of
the time you end up with all sorts of trails you can't process in the
time available, and you'd prefer to focus on the one route you had
chosen to do. This cleanup is very painstaking (and error-prone) if
you do it on the same layer as the real data is on - but it becomes
much easier in the new world.

A further enhancement that would be even better would be one that
would allow you to take a way from this "work layer" - containing all
the auto-generated stuff - and push it down to your data layer, or
possibly to a third layer on which you would accumulate your work on
the session so far. Once you'd become happy that your new ways were
clean, you'd simply delete the roughwork layer, making the whole
process far safer.

It would also be nice if you could use a marquee to delimit the area
to be auto-wayed. Oh, and can I have a new car too? And a pony...

Dermot