[OSM-dev] Map files for entire US (for download)

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 10:39:11 BST 2007

Dave,

Nice work, thanks.

Taking a close look at data in n area I know well (Arlington, VA) I can see
that overall it looks very good. We don't seem to have any of the problems
of the previous import process. All ways appear to be logical and I didn't
find any errors in node reuse or other node/seg/way issues. However I did
note one major difference between what the TIGER data looks like and what we
currently map in OSM and that relates to divided highways.

Currently we create the mapping in OSM by recreating what is physically
present on the ground. For example, motorways (freeways etc) get drawn as
two separate ways because each direction of travel is physically sperate.
This is the case for all divided highways that have a physical barrier
between each direction of travel.

The TIGER data as seen in the .osm conversion files appear to show all
divided highways as a single way, presumably because there is only one TIGER
line in the original data? If so, is there anything we could do to split
these automatically?

My concern is that the amount of divided highway in the USA is large, many
residential streets are even divided for instance.

What's everyone's feelings on this?

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson