[OSM-dev] TIGER -> OSM import

Brandon Martin-Anderson badhill at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 20:12:22 BST 2007

Hey all,

This is my first post to OSM-dev, so allow myself to introduce myself. I'm
Brandon Martin-Anderson. I'm working on an open source itinerary server
("Graphserver"), and I severely admire the OSM project.

I attended WhereCamp at Yahoo near San Francisco recently, I learned about
the past trials of importing TIGER to the OSM. I have some expertise in the
TIGER format, as does Schuyler Erle, and we decided we'd take another swing
at it. In the past few days I've spiffed up a Ruby TIGER parser I'd written
for Graphserver, and I'm ready to start working on the import.

I know this isn't the first time this has been attempted, and it would be
foolish to rush in without knowing the problems encountered in the past. So
I'm curious: what failed in the past?

Also, would it be possible to get commit access to the
root/applications/utils/import/tiger_import directory?

-B