[OSM-dev] TIGER -> OSM import

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 11:05:34 BST 2007

Brandon Martin-Anderson wrote:
>Sent: 06 June 2007 8:12 PM
>To: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-dev] TIGER -> OSM import
>
>Hey all,
>
>This is my first post to OSM-dev, so allow myself to introduce myself. I'm
>Brandon Martin-Anderson. I'm working on an open source itinerary server
>("Graphserver"), and I severely admire the OSM project.
>
>I attended WhereCamp at Yahoo near San Francisco recently, I learned about
>the past trials of importing TIGER to the OSM. I have some expertise in the
>TIGER format, as does Schuyler Erle, and we decided we'd take another swing
>at it. In the past few days I've spiffed up a Ruby TIGER parser I'd written
>for Graphserver, and I'm ready to start working on the import.
>
>I know this isn't the first time this has been attempted, and it would be
>foolish to rush in without knowing the problems encountered in the past. So
>I'm curious: what failed in the past?

Brandon,

Welcome on board :-)

You can find a summary of the issues and the last discussion on this on the
dev mailing list archive, specifically on a thread called "Effort in the US
wasted until TIGER import is complete?"

The following was my post to the list on that thread that summarised the
issues as I saw it at the time. I don't think anything has changed on this.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2007-March/003629.html

>Also, would it be possible to get commit access to the
>root/applications/utils/import/tiger_import directory?
>
>-B

Steve C will to respond on the server access issues. If he's unresponsive
you might keep any eye out for him on IRC #osm

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson (blackadder)