[OSM-dev] TIGER -> OSM import

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Jun 8 21:42:49 BST 2007

Brandon Martin-Anderson wrote:
> "local, neighborhood, and rural roads" fits fairly well
> with "residential".

To me, "neighborhood" does correspond to OSM's residential, but local
and particularly rural do not.  "local" probably corresponds better to
OSM's 'tertiary' (I guess I'd have to see actual data to know for certain)

I guess it depends on which roads are more prevelant and which would be
easier to correct after the fact.  I suspect there's a larger quantity
of a4x roads that are residential but that they'll be closer together
and thus easier to correct.

cities have a high concentration of residential roads, but then there's
also a huge distance of rural roads that would be better entered as
"unclassified".

-Alex Mauer "hawke"