[OSM-dev] Server is very very busy...

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:28:58 BST 2007

On 6/13/07, Marc Schütz <schuetzm at gmx.net> wrote:
> Could this be changed so that either:
> - the client checks the load on the server _before_ uploading anything
> - the tiles that have already been uploaded will be queued on the server for
> processing when the load is lower again
> - or at least the back-off mechanism kicks in after the first failed upload

All these things have been proposed. Some need server work which is
hard to do with so few admins. The back mechanism does kick in after
the first failed upload.

I have however prepared a patch for the first idea, check the go_nogo
script prior to upload. The rules are:

1. Check the go_gono first if you've had any recent failures
2. If go_nogo (soft failure) is <0.10, add 7% to delay and sleep
3. If upload fails (hard failure) double delay and sleep
4. If upload succeeds, halve delay and sleep

The idea being that checking go_nogo is cheap enough that we don't
need to delay so long because we can check it more often.

Thoughts?