[OSM-dev] Update of TIGER ruby import code

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Jun 22 21:56:51 BST 2007

Dave Hansen wrote:
> First of all, all of the actual TIGER parsing code here came from
> Brandon Martin-Anderson.  All I did was spit out some OSM objects from
> the data he produced.  He did all of the hard work.
>
> This code takes a set of TIGER shapefiles, and turns them into an
> OSM .xml file.  That file can then be opened in JOSM and reviewed before
> uploading.  If anyone just wants to look at their county, I'll be happy
> to run this for them and I'll just send you the .osm file.
>
> You can get the code here:
>
> 	http://sr71.net/~dave/osm/tiger/
>
> But, don't go uploading anything produced with this just yet.  We need
> to make sure it's actually producing good, sane data.  Feel free to go
> run it on a county that you know well, and closely examine the output.
> Report anything that looks strange or incorrect.

After a first (very) quick look, I have the following comments:

Having the CFCC as an OSM tag would be very good.

I think some of the tags should be namespaced:
reviewed -> tiger:reviewed
name_direction_type -> tiger:name_direction_type
name_base -> tiger:name_base
name_type -> tiger:name_type
name_direction_suffix -> tiger:name_direction_suffix
separated -> tiger:separated
zip_left -> tiger:zip_left
zip_right -> tiger:zip_right

Should it be name_direction_type or name_direction_prefix?

A74 should probably map to service rather than unclassified.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"