[OSM-dev] Update of TIGER ruby import code

James Marca jmarca at translab.its.uci.edu
Mon Jun 25 21:09:13 BST 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:42:25PM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> First of all, all of the actual TIGER parsing code here came from
> Brandon Martin-Anderson.  All I did was spit out some OSM objects from
> the data he produced.  He did all of the hard work.
>
> This code takes a set of TIGER shapefiles, and turns them into an
> OSM .xml file.  That file can then be opened in JOSM and reviewed before
> uploading.  If anyone just wants to look at their county, I'll be happy
> to run this for them and I'll just send you the .osm file.
>
> You can get the code here:
>
> 	http://sr71.net/~dave/osm/tiger/

One comment.  Looking at attr_map.rb and at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/TIGER_to_OSM_Attribute_Map, I
don't see anything for the provisional features (cfcc=P??).  To quote the
TGR06SE.pdf manual

Feature Class P, Provisional Features

The U.S. Census Bureau has created a new CFCC type that may appear on
street features only. Some streets that normally would be classified
as "A" class features may be coded with a "P" instead of the "A" to
indicate that the feature is a "provisional" feature....

Perhaps I missed the debate on this, but I recommend that provisional
features should be included, since the TIGER import philosophy seems
to be "trust but verify"---the provisional features will get checked
along with other features.

In California, I see lots of provisional features (mostly type
P41---local, unseparated).

James