[OSM-dev] JOSM gcj

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:22:45 BST 2007

> And maybe a dumb question but I haven't used anything but Sun Java - are
> the two incompatible in a way that requires gcj-compiled .jars for
> execution with gcj and Sun Java-compiled .jars for execution with Sun
> Java, or will we be able to create .jars that run on both?

Java includes the bytecode standard, so JARs are compile-once,
run-anywhere. I beleive the major problem I ran into when trying to
run JOSM on GCJ is that the classpath libraries are not up-to JDK 1.5
yet. When I try with GIJ I get:

java.util.concurrent.Executor not found in
gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader

I havn't yet worked out how to get GIJ to use the sun libraries. But
in any case, to get it to work you either have to find a way of
getting JOSM not to use that class, or convince someone to add support
for it to Classpath.

(Note: I'm not claiming this is the only class it's missing, this is
just the first ti complains about).

Have a nice day,