[OSM-dev] JOSM gcj

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Mon Jun 25 18:47:10 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 15:38 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi Sander,
>
> > I was thinking of packaging JOSM for Fedora, and for that it has to
> > build with gcj (a free java implementation). After some quick hacks it
> > does work, but it needs a little bit of love.
>
> There's a guy on the talk-de mailing list who says he won't use software
> that requires evil non-free Sun Java so rather than just telling him to
> go away (which was my first instinct) I'd like to do a version that
> works with gcj.
>
> Can you provide me with the patches required to get going with gcj?

Attached is a patch that will make it compile, I even removed some
duplicate ways with it, but don't expect it to work flawlessly. You will
also probably need Fedora 7, the other distro's are a bit behind wrt gcj
i think (somebody correct me if i am wrong).

Hum, i just tried for the fun of it to just run josm-latest.jar with
gij, and it runs, i only get error 401 when uploading. I'll check
compiling svn without patches and report back

> And maybe a dumb question but I haven't used anything but Sun Java - are
> the two incompatible in a way that requires gcj-compiled .jars for
> execution with gcj and Sun Java-compiled .jars for execution with Sun
> Java, or will we be able to create .jars that run on both?

the jar can be run on both, but gcj isn't complete yet (but getting there, especially with openjdk etc)

Sander