[OSM-dev] How do I build the latest db schema?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Jun 27 08:20:18 BST 2007

In message <4681E99B.6070202 at bretth.com>
        Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:

> Is there a script somewhere for building the current database schema?

Yes, and by the sounds of things you have found it.

> The database schema wiki page at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Database_schema links to
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port/db/create_database.sql
> but this link is broken.

That is out of date. I removed that file the other day because it
is no longer current.

> Checking the sites\rails_port\db directory in svn, I found a file named
> MAKE_MIGRATIONS_AND_TEST_THEM_DONT_PUT_SQL_HERE_ANY_MORE along with a
> readme stating to use a ruby rake tool.

Exactly. That is the correct way to do things now.

> In addition, there is a file in a migrate subdirectory called
> 001_create_osm_db.rb that seems to contain a complete schema, not just a
> migration from an older schema.  Given that it is 001, perhaps this is
> intended to be the first such script.

The first migration migrates from an empty database which is the
baseline to where we are now. There will be a second one shortly
to tidy some things up.

> Is rake the preferred method for building the latest schema?  If so,
> I'll try to get it running.

It is, yes. Please shout if you have any problems with it as it
should work and produce something matches the live system.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/