[OSM-dev] Problem building Mapnik on debian system

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Mar 4 10:00:09 GMT 2007

Hello Artem,

I'm trying to install Mapnik on my bytemark virtual server (running Debian
sarge). I first installed the backports.org version of Boost, but when I
tried to install mapnik (0.4) I got:

Checking for main() in C library m... yes
Checking for main() in C library ltdl... yes
Checking for main() in C library png... yes
Checking for main() in C library tiff... yes
Checking for main() in C library z... yes
Checking for main() in C library jpeg... yes
Checking for main() in C library proj... yes
Checking for main() in C library pq... no
Checking for main() in C++ library boost_thread... no
Checking for main() in C++ library boost_thread-gcc-mt... no

despite the appropriate libraries being in /usr/lib.

Then I tried compiling and installing from source and got the same thing; I
did run ldconfig before and set the Boost paths as parameters to the scons
script.

Strangely, on my home box (running a rather old version of Mandrake) I
followed the same procedure of installing Boost from source then Mapnik from
source... but I had no problems. When I installed on my home box, it was with
SVN a couple of days before the release of 0.4.0. Has there been any change?
(What I'm a little puzzled about BTW is that the scons.py is looking for a
main() in a library - why is this?)

Thanks,
Nick