[OSM-dev] Running PostGIS on limited memory (was: osm2pgsql segmentation fault)

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Wed Mar 7 07:41:22 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 07 Mar 2007 00:39, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Has anyone encountered this? I just can't get it to run. (latest SVN
> version)

I think I figured this out after posting, but by that time I'd gone to bed :-)
It's using up too much memory - the array of 35 million nodes and segments is
more than my Bytemark VM can handle. It looks like osm2pgsql.c will need a
rewrite so that it uses a std::map rather than array.

Incidentally, before I spend too much time on this, would the PostGIS approach
of storing the whole of the UK (with appropriate caching of generated images)
on the Bytemark VM be feasible, given that I only have 160MB available, or
would I be better off with the original plan of fetching .osm data in smaller
tiles from the live OSM server, generating images on the fly and caching them
for, say a month?

Thanks,
Nick