[OSM-dev] Funny Numbers

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:40:25 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 17:32 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Are the node references unique? i.e. how does this handle multiple
> > segments connecting to one node?
>
> It's a perl hash and the number is sclar(keys(...)), so it should
> count the right thing.
>
> > I think it's technically possible that nodes get deleted without the
> > joined segment to be deleted, but I doubt that it has happened in that
> > order of magnitude.
>
> Isn't that something that our "planet-to-database" folks should
> encounter regularly? I'll modify the script to dump a list of nodes
> it thinks are dangling references and post it to the list... er,
> maybe better put them in a file for download ;-)

For osm2pgsql the answer is to ignore the object if it refers to
something which does not exist. The current does not keep count of how
often this occurs but it could be done quite easily.

I think svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/sanitize/sanitize.pl may provide
some useful stats about bad data in the planet.osm.

	Jon