[OSM-dev] Permission denied errors connecting to postgres from Mapnik

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Wed Mar 7 23:56:42 GMT 2007

Hello Artem and everyone,

Sorry... yet another problem :-( I'm now trying to connect to the postgis
database from Mapnik.

The postgresql user "nick" doesn't have a password and the postgresql server
is running on port 5432. I could add all the OSM records in to the database
successfully. In the mapnik xml file I have layers such as:

 <Layer name="roads" status="on">
    <StyleName>roads-casing</StyleName>
    <StyleName>roads</StyleName>
    <StyleName>secondary</StyleName>
    <StyleName>primary</StyleName>
    <StyleName>trunk</StyleName>
    <StyleName>motorway</StyleName>
    <Datasource>
      <Parameter name="type">postgis</Parameter>
      <Parameter name="host">localhost</Parameter>
      <Parameter name="port">5432</Parameter>
      <Parameter name="user">nick</Parameter>
      <Parameter name="dbname">freemap</Parameter>
      <Parameter name="table">(select
way,highway,railway,landuse,"natural",man_made,waterway,tourism,learning,amenity,place,name,char_length(name)
as length from planet_osm where waterway IS NULL and leisure IS NULL and
landuse IS NULL) as roads</Parameter>
    </Datasource>
   </Layer>

Running this from mapnik gives me an access denied error:

connection to host=localhost port=5432 dbname=freemap user=nick password=
connect_timeout=4 failed
FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "nick"

I guess I must have missed something out. Any pointers here?
Changing "localhost" for "free-map.org.uk" is even worse.. it reports that it
can't detect a database server running.

Thanks,
Nick