[OSM-dev] Problems after losing inet connection while uploading changes with JOSM

Styno styno at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 12:58:07 GMT 2007

While working with JOSM I encountered an unwanted situation. I'll try to
describe what happened and hope it is appreciated:

JOSM had a huge list of additions/changes after working for a couple of
hours on a residential area. While uploading these changes my wireless
USB stick decided to call it a day which resulted in JOSM dropping the
connection in the middle of the upload. After fixing the wireless
connection I issued the upload command in JOSM again, but JOSM had
already cleared my change list.

The next day I started JOSM and downloaded the area again just to
discover that a lot of my changes were lost. Also a lot of new ways were
only partly complete. Trying to correct the partly completed ways
resulted in an error like (forgot to write down the exact error, please
forgive me): Warning: the way is incomplete, please download the area
first before editing. Of course downloading that area again did not
solve the problem so I had to delete the way and reconstruct it. After a
couple of hours reconstructing things were again as the day before and
the changes were committed to the DB successfully this time.

The behavior described above indicates flaw(s) in processing uploads in
either the restful API and/or JOSM. I propose the following changes:
- Add transactions to the API (a proper database like PostgreSQL has
mechanisms for this, but also to the HTTP).
- JOSM should not clear the change list when uploading to the server
failes (again, transaction based communication can solve this).

Another (completely off-topic) idea for JOSM is to put the uploading
(perhaps also the downloading) into a separate thread to allow the
editing work to continue while uploading. Having to wait lengthy times
for even a tiny upload is not good for the mental state of this
particular editor ;-)

Regards