[OSM-dev] Extracting Great Britain and Ireland from planet.osm

Nick Burch openstreetmap at gagravarr.org
Tue Mar 13 14:07:39 GMT 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Ludwig M Brinckmann wrote:
> What I thought was 'insane' however was the attitude that my desire to
> 'download the whole of London' was somehow not justified rather than
> just pointing out a temporary shortcoming of the software. Just because
> it did not work and there was no trivial workaround (apart from download
> the whole planet, install ruby, install another DB, configure a few
> scripts...)

That's not actually correct, so we should probably be doing a better job
of advertising the other options.

The trivial workaround is to grab the latest planet, then use any one of
the number of scripts that will excerpt part of the planet without the
need of a database. If it's just a simple lat,long bounding box, then
sling it through
 	http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/planet.osm/perl/planetosm-excerpt-area.pl
If it's a fancy geometry, use
 	http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/osm-subset/osm-subset.pl
(possibly having added your own area first)

That all fits in one paragraph :)  Where on the wiki should we put that
description, so the next person in your situation will find it?

Nick