[OSM-dev] london tube stations

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 21:02:06 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 20:50 +0000, Andy Allan wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Artem Pavlenko <artem at mapnik.org> wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I wonder if there is way to distinguish  London tube station from any
> > other station?
>
> Hmmm, tricky. Not at present.
>
> I would propose a different tag for them, but we'd need to be careful
> to make sure we can tag a node as both a tube and railway station
> together - lots of them are. Some of them (especially on the bakerloo
> line) have mainline rail and tube trains on the same platforms, many
> on adjacent platforms.
>
> Perhaps a tag for each, and three logos for the map - rail,
> Underground and combined. Would we want a London Underground specific
> tag?

Am I correct in thinking that you want to do this to render a different
logo on maps when processing a London Underground station, as opposed to
a railway station?  If so we should make this sufficiently generic to
handle the same issue on other Cities.

For example, at some point I am going to survey all of the stations on
the Glasgow Underground, one station (Partick) is both rail and
underground, yet only has a single entrance!

Another point to consider when rendering would be using location
specific logos on maps.  It would be nice to say something like

	if lon and lat fall within Glasgow
		use symbol X
	else if lon and lat fall within London
		use symbol Y
	else
		use generic symbol

Not sure how feasible this would be either from a code perspective or a
logo copyright perspective.

Keith.