[OSM-dev] london tube stations

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Mar 16 09:15:16 GMT 2007

> Yuk! "Central and Northern Lines" is definitely not part of the stations
> name. Perhaps tags like
>
> railway=station               <- leave this tag because it is true
> railway_network=London Tube    <- use this tag to decide on logo
> railway_line=Central;Northern
>
> We could then apply the "railway_network" and "railway_line" tags to any
> database element that currently has a "railway" tag when we want to be
> more specific.

I think it would make it hard for renderers to know about every metro system
in the world. Maybe you want to use the red circle with black line through
for the London Underground, but if the desire is to distinguish metro
stations from mainline stations, we'd also want a more general
  raliway_station=metro
or some such. (Even in the UK, consider Glasgow and Newcastle, and possibly
others; worldwide the list is endless).

David