[OSM-dev] london tube stations

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:57:43 GMT 2007

On 3/16/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> > Yuk! "Central and Northern Lines" is definitely not part of the stations
> > name. Perhaps tags like
> >
> > railway=station               <- leave this tag because it is true
> > railway_network=London Tube    <- use this tag to decide on logo
> > railway_line=Central;Northern
> >
> > We could then apply the "railway_network" and "railway_line" tags to any
> > database element that currently has a "railway" tag when we want to be
> > more specific.
>
> I think it would make it hard for renderers to know about every metro system
> in the world.

Why?  All it would take is the individual in the particular country to
make a png for their logo and amend the render rules file.  OSM can
really kick-ass in this arae and be a lot less generic than other
online maps - I really think we should be aiming to adopt local
cartography conventions where we can.

Maybe you want to use the red circle with black line through
> for the London Underground, but if the desire is to distinguish metro
> stations from mainline stations, we'd also want a more general
>   raliway_station=metro
> or some such. (Even in the UK, consider Glasgow and Newcastle, and possibly
> others; worldwide the list is endless).
>
> David

Nick Black